The Springfield Republican Online is offering COVID-19 special access. You can read The Republican for…
Storrs Public Library is taking steps to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 in our community and the building will remain closed to the public. In accordance with Governor Charlie Baker’s timeline, curbside service began on June 4.
We are offering Drop-By Curbside Pickup to allow patrons to checkout books, movies, and audiobooks.
Place an Order
To request materials, please place a HOLD in our online catalog. If you are unable to place a HOLD electronically, you may call the library at 565-4181, Monday-Friday, 10-4. We ask that you provide us with the titles of books, movies, or audiobooks you would like to check out.
When your HOLD is ready, you will receive an email, text or phone call. Once you receive this notice, you may drop-by the Library during any of our Curbside Pickup hours to retrieve your item(s). Our Curbside Pickup hour are: Mondays & Wednesdays 3-6 and Saturdays 12-3. When you arrive, please tell us your last name. A staff member will then place your available items on a table at our main entrance for you to pick up.
Signs along the driveway provide instructions to stay in the carline until you reach the yellow line, where you may park to retrieve your materials. If you are walking or biking, signs will direct you to the appropriate waiting point also.
The safety of our community, including our patrons and staff, is the most important consideration of this project, so all curbside transactions will be ENTIRELY CONTACTLESS. That means:
- When patrons arrive at the Library during Curbside Pickup hours, they must wait in line, appropriately social distanced from others, until it is their turn.
- Staff will place materials on a table at our front entrance and step away for the patron to retrieve.
- For patrons visiting the library on foot or bicycle: waiting, pick-up, and exiting areas are designated on sidewalks.
- Returned materials must be placed in the book depository slot to the right of the main entrance. Library staff will not accept returns directly from patrons. The Book Depository is open for returns: Mondays & Wednesdays 9-6; Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays 9-5; and Saturdays 9-3.
- Returned materials will be quarantined for at least 72 hours, so those materials will remain on a patron’s account for several days after return.
Other things you should know:
- All checkouts will be for one month, and will automatically renew, until the library resumes normal operations. All fines will be waived during this time.
- Curbside Pickup hours are Mondays & Wednesdays 3-6 and Saturdays 12-3.
- Overdue fines are waived for the remainder of the year.
- Donations to the Friends of the Storrs Public Library Book Sale are suspended until further notice. Please do not deposit book donations at the library.
Q: I’m wearing a mask, why can’t my materials just be handed to me?
To maintain the recommended distance of six feet, our curbside services are designed to be completely contactless. We appreciate your understanding as we do everything possible to help our community flatten the curve.
Q: I’m not sure what I want. Can you help?
Staff can direct you to reading lists and inform you how to find recommend titles in our catalog, based on books you have previously enjoyed. Due to limited staffing this will be the extent of the assistance we can offer in this area.
Q: I just put something on hold. How soon will it be ready for pick-up?
With limited staffing, it may take several days to receive notice of item availability.
Q: Will I be able to pick up my materials the same day they are requested?
Depending on demand and staff availability, orders may not be ready for a few days. Once your materials are located and pulled from our shelves, you will receive an email, text or phone call. After you receive this notice, you may visit Storrs Library during our Curbside Pickup hours: Mondays & Wednesdays 3-6 and Saturdays 12-3.
Q: According to the website, the materials I want are at Storrs Library. How long until they are ready to be picked up?
Depending on when you make your request and depending on staff availability, getting all your materials together could happen within one day or take up to three. You will be notified when your materials are ready.
Q: Can I request items from other libraries?
Yes, we are now able to receive items from other libraries. Sharing materials between libraries is now an available service.
Q: I have some things checked out right now; when are they due?
All materials checked out on or after June 3 will be checked out for one month. We are not offering automatic renewals at this time, however, you will not accrue fines for the remainder of this year.
Q: Can I stop by to see if my items are ready?
Please don’t stop by the Library until you receive notice that your items are ready. The building remains closed to the public.
Q: When and where can I return items?
Items can be returned in the Book Depository to the right of the Main Entrance when staff are in the building: Mondays & Wednesdays 9-6; Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays 9-5; and Saturdays 9-3. Library staff will not accept returns directly from patrons. Returned materials will be quarantined for at least 72 hours, so those materials will remain on a patron’s account for several days after return. All fines will be waived during this time.
Q: I still have questions.
We’re happy to help! Please call us Mondays-Fridays, 10-4 at 413-565-4181 or email us at email@example.com. We are severely understaffed, so please leave a message if your call is not answered.